Programmatic Advertising for Events – Myths Busted
Whilst programmatic advertising has been around for decades, it is becoming an increasing area of interest for event marketers looking for new ways to scale their campaigns across new channels and put more budget into digital.
What is Programmatic?
Any ad buying using automation or software as opposed to manual process – pretty much all paid media, using algorithms over human resource.
Image Source: https://www.visualfizz.com/
Some Key Facts
- Programmatic advertising is the automated process of buying and selling ad inventory through an exchange, connecting advertisers to publishers.
- Programmatic advertising is the real-time buying and selling of ad inventory through an automated bidding system.
- Programmatic advertising includes ad slots for digital out-of-home (DOOH), online, streaming, TV, video and voice ads.
- Programmatic advertising uses a program to purchase ad slots on publishers’ websites
- The artificial intelligence (AI) powered algorithms evaluate users based on their behavior, demographic data, cookie data, and other criteria to determine which ad should be shown to each user.
How does it work?
There are a lot of common myths surrounding programmatic advertising especially for the world of events:
- Programmatic works for Brand Awareness but not for generating conversions
- Programmatic is applicable only to big advertisers with huge budgets
- Programmatic is not a good marketing strategy for Event Organisers, because is more expensive and need higher budgets
Whilst programmatic is a more expensive channel due to the additional technology and management fees, there are definitely ways in which it can be used to help produce great results for your event, things to keep in mind:
- Programmatic offers access to premium publishers
- You can used objective based bidding so can be focused on conversions/CPA same as any other channel
- It offers more audience targeting at a deeper level, including additional first and third party options
- There are more creative options available to you
- Typically for events we use DV360 which allows us to build our an event industry specific prospecting strategy, coupled with first and third party audiences and rich media creative to produce performance driven campaigns
To learn more or to try your first programmatic campaign, book some time with our team.
15th April 2021